Moving Hacks Plus 10/9/2020

Yesterday, my movers called to verify some pertinent information and to set-up an appointment for the finalizing of my inventory.  The time flew by as I spent my day taking measurements, labeling items, (move/don't move) and much more. 

Moving is a great time to get better organized. I have spent many hours downsizing as well as sorting out what is staying behind (with my partner) and what I'm taking. 

MOVING TIPS & HACKS

1. Downsize before you move! Get rid of things you no longer wear or use. Donate, give away, have a garage sale or yard sale. If you have the time, online sales are great outlets too.

2. Budget your move. Do your research and decide what you can afford. Some options are:

  • Rent a U-Haul and buy packing materials such as boxes, bubble wrap, and packing tape. U-Haul also rents out moving pads and blankets.
  • Rent a trailer that you can pull with your own vehicle. You'll probably need the hitch too as that if often NOT included in the rental package.
  • Portable moving containers - pack it yourself or have them pack, drive, and deliver 
    • I previously used this method. I did the packing with help from my family.
  • Moving companies that pack, move and deliver to a storage unit or your new address
    • The above is my choice this time around. I'll be delivering to a storage unit. 

3.  If you are moving long distance and you hired a professional mover, be sure to pack enough goods to get through the first week (or two) in your new location. Long distance moves are estimated dates, and many times are delayed by acts of nature. My deliver date is estimated at 6-21 days. I'll be in Columbus, OH before my movers arrive. 

4. Packing Hacks

  • Label all your boxes by room
  • Don't leave empty space in a box. Stuff it with fillers such as rags, rolled dish towels, or other flexible items.  I rolled my dish towels, then stuffed them into my mason jars. My coffee mugs are stuffed with small kitchen items placed in baggies, like holders for ears of corn, mini-containers, etc. 
  • Pack heavy items in small boxes, making them easier to lift and carry. 
  • Nest your suitcases, purses, tote bags and other items that easily fit inside the other ones. Your extra cosmetics and toiletries can be packed into purses that don't collapse.

5. If your driving across several states, check the weather in those states for the dates you'll be passing through. I found that it'll be 89 degrees the day I leave Las Vegas, NV.  I'll need to pack in layers as the temperature will drop daily, hitting the low 50's by the time I arrive in Columbus, OH.

6. We all know our cell phones will automatically update the time as we pass through the time zones, but only if the option is selected in the settings. Remember to adjust your watch and your car's clock too. 

My Going Away Party....

is being hosted my meetup group and is for members only. I'm excited and grateful to my host and hostess! Check back tomorrow for details! 🥳🎉 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Las Vegas Fun Times

DMV of NV - Do Your Job Please

Miller's Tavern in Vegas July 7, 2022