Job Search - Part 1 Before you post that resume! 10/25/2020


Dream Job, Application, Location, Job

 

As I began my search for a new job, I've come across a lot of tips and advice through various resources. I read quite a few articles posted on the internet. Truthfully, I think that some of these articles are full of worthless information. One such article related your negotiation for salary to bargaining for a slice of cake! A piece of cake is easy to get and it's unlikely that your pay check will come just as easily. 

After reading the unworthy article, I decided to collect bits and pieces from many articles that I feel comfortable using for a job search.   

Research the company that is hiring
  • How long has the company been established?
  • Take a look at the comments (if any) on the website for the Better Business Bureau in your state. Do they have a rating? Read comments from the company's customers, clients, and employees. 
  • What type of benefits and/or perks does the company offer besides the most common?
    • Most common benefits are: medical / dental / vision / paid time off / 401K
    • Look for commuter assistance / free parking / gym membership or onsite fitness center/ professional development / sabbatical leave / flexible or remote work options / paid family leave / pet insurance / cash rewards / paid time off or other rewards for community volunteer work / onsite snacks or food / health or financial coaching
If you find a company that has all or most of these benefits and perks, please let me know! :-)
 
FACEBOOK USERS & Other Social Sites
Many companies DO check your Facebook page and other social sites. Before you send out a resume, check your Facebook settings by clicking on the "down" arrow in the upper right hand corner of your page. Click that arrow. Click "Settings & Privacy".  Click "Settings". Click "Privacy".  In the block labeled "Your Activity" make your selections. I do not allow anything to be viewed publicly.  
 
Beware: Two of my fellow coworkers were fired for postings on Facebook. This took place at least one year to the COVID19 breakout.
 
Important: Be sure all your public information is exact from site to site. Conflicting info doesn't earn brownie points. 
 
A couple helpful resources: 
 
Do you have a favorite resource? Please leave it in the comment section on my blog. (I don't always see my comments on Facebook)  

Tip of the Day 
Indeed has a career page located at

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Las Vegas Fun Times

DMV of NV - Do Your Job Please

Miller's Tavern in Vegas July 7, 2022